Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rowing on the Potomac River as a Student at Georgetown University

I moved back to the Washington, DC area when I joined the State Department last fall. Four years had passed since I lived there. As I walked across the Key Bridge from Rosslyn to Georgetown, instead of focusing on the road, my eyes would be drawn to the Potomac River. I love the Potomac--I love the sun glistening off the water, the boathouse next to Tony & Joe's, the trees that line the banks of the river, and the story about the Three Sisters (rocky islands in the Potomac west of the Key Bridge).

The Potomac has a special place in my heart because I spent a great part of my freshman year on the water. I can't recall what inspired me to try out to be one of the crew members on Georgetown University’s rowing team (especially considering the fact that I can't really swim), but the point is, I tried out for the team and amazingly, survived three cuts, and made the Freshmen Women's Light Weight Crew team.

Crew was a bitter-sweet experience. It was bitter because I hated waking up at 5am every morning Monday through Friday and at 6:30am on Saturdays. It was also bitter because it was mentally and physically challenging--it stretched me to my limits. It was sweet because I loved being on a team and the camaraderie among the team members. I loved wearing our team uniform and screaming "Hoya Saxa" on top of my lungs. Crew is perhaps the epitome of team sport since rowing out of sync would compromise the efforts of the other members of the team, and as cliché as it sounds, the boat is only as strong as its weakest link. Needless to say, the coach pushed us to our limits. I thought about quitting numerous times, but I am glad that I stuck with it (at least until the end of my freshman year). Rowing taught me self-discipline and team work. It also taught me that I am physically stronger than I realized.

Ultimately, I had to make a choice at the end of my freshman year about staying on the team or focus on my other extracurricular commitments in the student government and other student groups. I gave up crew. I sometimes wish I was tougher and made a commitment to the sport, but I also realize that I couldn't balance crew, academics, and my other extracurricular interests.

My experience illustrates the wide range of opportunities available on college campuses across the United States. Educational experiences in the United States encompass more than lessons learned in the classroom, it also involve lessons learned outside of the classroom, whether it's from playing sports, performing community service with a volunteer organization, or interning at a law firm. Despite the fact that schools vary in size, location, and funding, there will always be a lot of opportunities for students to explore. Sometimes, tough choices will have to be made…but the point is that it is up to you to shape your own U.S. educational experience and to participate in activities that enrich your understanding of American society and culture.