Monday, August 11, 2008

Nida Shadeed Pursues Political Science Degree at Shaw University

Profile of Nida Shadeed - Download (MP3)
Profile of Nida Shadeed - Listen (MP3)

Nida Shadeed is a Political Science major. Deciding to study in that field was a decision influenced by a summer internship and an associate she met in 2005. “I did an intern the summer of 2005 and believe it or not that is when I decided that I wanted to do Political Science because I actually graduated from high school 2005 and that summer I did an internship at the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands and my co-worker she was a college graduate and she also wanted to go to law school and her major was Political Science so she kind of influenced me on that decision.”

Having a family member already studying at Shaw University made Nida Shadeed decision to attend the university that much easier. “I’m from the Virgin Islands, its U-S territory so it is not really that much difference from the U-S, but of course it’s an island,” she says. “The real reason why I decided to go Shaw here is Raleigh, North Carolina is because I have an older sister and she goes to Shaw as well and you know it just made sense I guess why I decided to come.”

While focusing on her studies, Nida is also involved with the Political Science Club as well as the Pre-law Club. She says meeting international students and getting to know them is one experience she enjoys. “Shaw University is a private school. It is very small and the teachers are hands on and that is something that I like personally. Everybody seems to be very friendly and I like it,” she says. “I got introduced to the international students through a friend of mine, a mutual friend and they are great. It is kind of like knowing people from all different walks of the world so that is one experience that I really treasure at Shaw.”

This is Nida's junior year. She says there are a few educational differences attending college away from home, but one thing is certain, she has also notice changes within herself both intellectually and personally. “To me the differences is back at home teachers are a little bit, the curriculum in my opinion is a little bit more harder and teachers challenge you a little more,” she says.

“Whereas here for me it was getting out of my comfort zone because I lived a pretty sheltered life being that I grew up on an island and coming here where it is like I really do not have that much family and I was forced to try to be a little more independent and be on my own a little bit more, it has kind of help me to realize that this is real life and in that sense it has kind of changed me.”

When Nida graduates from Shaw University in 2009 she wants to go to Law school in the United States too. Her advice to others interested in college here is....”My advice is just makes sure it is something that you really want to do and have school as your number one priority and know that is what you are there for and make as many friends as you can. Nida is one of more than 500-thousand international students currently enrolled in the U-S college and universities.